The snake is my favourite

Some teachers are really bad in our lives but they teach us the right path in our lives…
Tall, brooding, slick haired, with a swishing cape. Professor Severus Snape, who had the worst possible childhood, with parents who didn’t seem to care where he went or with whom he spent his time, who was bullied all through his teen years, four on one, who didn’t make any friends, who loved only one person for all his life, whose love for Lily made him be willing to sacrifice an infant and his father as long as Lily was spared, whose loss of Lily made him brave enough to stand up against the most villainous character, be willing to dupe them, be willing to sacrifice his own life to help the wizarding world, because he had nothing left to lose, also the adult who would go to any limit to humiliate anyone who wasn’t of his house, an adult who terrorized a student to such an extent such that even though his parents had been tortured before his own eyes, his boggart was not that witch, but professor Snape.

And yet a lot of us believe him to have redeemed himself. Yes, he probably did, but when your argument is fixated only on his love for Lily ‘Always’ and how he died helping the wizarding world, need I remind you what Sirius Black had said to Peter Pettigrew when asked why he gave up James and Lily’s location, “He would have killed me, Sirius!”, “THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE DIED!” roared Black. “DIED RATHER THAN BETRAY YOUR FRIENDS, AS WE WOULD HAVE DONE FOR YOU!” I don’t think it’s a worthy argument. Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks too died, when they had just had a son, Fred Weasley died, fighting for the school, Dobby died, protecting the people he cared about, so I definitely find myself looking for more when it comes to redemption.

I’m also not saying you are wrong, as Ms Rowling says, Snape is very much a grey character. If I start counting the good then there is an equal amount of bad, on one hand he made the wolfsbane potion for Lupin, yet he made sure Lupin lost his job, he tried saving Harry from a cursed broom, on the other he called Hermione an insufferable know it all, and he desperately wanted Sirus dead by a dementors kiss. He was vengeful and a bully. Yes he was bullied, but that doesn’t automatically give him the right or the excuse to bully someone less than half his age.

There are so many ways to contradict and argue about why this character should be loved or hated but most of all we need to focus on who he was, when he wasn’t doing it because of Lily. The best argument I can give is that if Voldemort had not chosen Harry as the kid from the prophecy, Snape would still be a deatheater.

So you cannot go ahead and claim that Severus Snape was a good guy in the end, he wasn’t, maybe slightly better, but not good, and maybe that’s the point of his character. To be grey.

2 Likes