"I WISH I COULD..." Part-2

‘Hey take my card, if you need any help, just call me, okay? Bye.’ And this damn alarm couldn’t stop for another 5 more minutes! I couldn’t say a thank you in reality, at least I could have said it in this dream!

‘Did I just have a dream about her, what on this universe is happening with me!’ I said to myself smiling in shock while waking up…

Rubbing my eyes with one hand, I lifted the clock which is still beeping unnecessarily or maybe laughing at my luck! I turned it off and cursed it from my heart. I patted my head realising my stupidity and smiled remembering the situation while reaching for my trouser that is hanging from the corner of my bed(you know freedom of being a bachelor and alone in a new city) and I freeze for I don’t know about the time! The card isn’t there!

I get mad on that trouser as it was it’s responsibility to keep it safe! I disappointedly flick it here and there but it is not there. I may have dropped it on the way back from the restaurant last night. ‘How can I be so careless about a chance to meet the girl I just have a dream about!’ I feel so lost at this moment, I just look at the roof and said, ‘Not fare.’

Suddenly I looked at the watch and it strucked 9, and my eyes got widened!
‘It’s your interview day, Nihal, aur dekho mungeri daal k haseen sapne!’, I talked to me in a sarcastic way! “I am so gone today, I have to be there before 10!’

And there I see someone sleeping so peacefully without even knowing there is a world outside his sleeping world! Yes, it’s Roshan, my friend. I can’t tolerate him sleeping at least now, so I kicked his butt and said, ‘Wake up Roshan, you promised to drop me at the interview today,’ removing his sheet and rushed towards washroom like hell.

‘Are you crazy? it hurts yaar, Nihal!’ he woke up while rubbing his Tashrif attacked by me! ‘What’s the time?’, Roshan murmured while going to sleep again!
Bad time (as it is for sure).’ I replied taking my head out from the corner of the washroom door. ‘Take these (referring to the toothpaste and toothbrush I threw) and get up! I’m coming in 5 Minutes.’ door closed!
Meanwhile Roshan started brushing his teeth as I came out in just 4 minutes and asked him to freshen up soon! I got ready in no time. I chose to wear my lucky Pishta Green Shirt for today. I used to wear it on my special days as my dad gifted this to me last year on my birthday. It’s the month of January but still a shirt is enough as there is not so much cold here in Mumbai. We used to endure Varanasi during the winter season. It’s exotic weather there but for Mumbaikars it’s like Shimla out there!

Now it’s about 9:25am and we are all set to leave the room but how can I just go out without talking to my “Bholaji” specially when it’s the first important thing I am going to do in this city! I settled my Bholaji on a small shelf at the corner beside the entrance. I stood in front of Bholaji and said with folded hands . ‘Bholaji, Interview dekh lena thoda sa, you know it’s a new city and there will be new people! Just stay with me like always.’ I was talking to Bholaji like he is in front of me and then roshan screamed ‘Ab chal na bhai, don’t say again that I made you late.’ while taking keys of his bike.
‘Yeah yeah coming, you go and start your ‘khataaraa’ I replied in a sarcastically funny way!
Roshan gave me a tough look as he went outside the house and started his bike. I also followed his steps.

‘All the Best, Nihal!’ the land-lady called us from behind, ‘you will definitely get this job.’ She said like my mother used to do back in Varanasi. I missed my mom.
She is really a kind lady. I met her 3 days back but she seems really kind and caring from the very first day, specially to me, I don’t know why. She used live alone as his husband is no more and his son lives in Australia. He works in a software company there. So when I and Roshan moved here, she got happy to have company after so long!
‘Namaste aunty!’ Roshan Greeted aunty. ‘Nihal it’s 9:35 already, we are getting late now, it will take another 30 minutes for us to reach that place, come fast!’ Roshan screamed again as I stopped talking to her!
‘Thank you Aunty, will meet you in the evening with ‘Motichoor ke Laddoo’, bye!’ I told her waving at her.
‘For sure Beta! Go carefully!’ she replied like mom always do!
‘Let’s go.’ I said getting up on the bike and we left.

15 days later.
‘Arey Radhe bhaiya, do cup chai bana do,jara!’
While sitting on a wooden plank near the tea stall, I asked Radhe bhaiya for two cups of tea. Radhe bhaiya is the owner of a tea stall near my office; yeah finally I got a job as an assistant web designer at the ‘Books and Media’ company’s Mumbai office. Now I am a Mumbaikar for at least a long period of my life, I guess.
A real good news that the job itself is that Radhe Bhaiya is also from Varanasi, I got a neighbour from my place, isn’t it just so much luck to have? He, having 5’9” height, speaks pure Hindi with some Varanasi special flavour. He wears a particular t-shirt almost everyday which is black with badge capri, and have something particular written on it that is ‘CHAUCHAK’. ‘CHAUCHAK’ is a way of expressing your joy, emotion and sometimes to appreciate someone as well. There is something really different about the people of Varanasi, they are really expressive and I am really fortunate to have some company like this in Mumbai!
‘Special’, my colleague Rahaat said from behind; 6 ft. tall, wearing LP premium shirt and trouser, Tissot limited edition watch, branded shoes, latest IPhone, he is a walking brand! He is the perfect example of tall, dark, handsome kind of person. A man with a golden heart, and really down to earth kind of person.
While having the tea and the conversation about the most random things in the world, I saw someone. I do not know what that feeling was but I never felt like that before. Rahaat was talking something about the music industry but ‘Mere dil me kuch alag hi sitaar baj rahe the!’
I saw her. Yes, I can’t mistake her with anyone. It is Rabia. She is wearing a white salwar. Having a burger in one hand, a bag full of some accessories like art paper in the other and a mouthful of food, she is controlling her best not to laugh at something the woman beside her said.
15 days later.
‘Arey Radhe bhaiya, do cup chai bana do,jara!’
While sitting on a wooden plank near the tea stall, I asked Radhe bhaiya for two cups of tea. Radhe bhaiya is the owner of a tea stall near my office; yeah finally I got a job as an assistant web designer at the ‘Books and Media’ company’s Mumbai office. Now I am a Mumbaikar for at least a long period of my life, I guess.
A real good news that the job itself is that Radhe Bhaiya is also from Varanasi, I got a neighbour from my place, isn’t it just so much luck to have? He, having 5’9” height, speaks pure Hindi with some Varanasi special flavour. He wears a particular t-shirt almost everyday which is black with badge capri, and have something particular written on it that is ‘CHAUCHAK’. ‘CHAUCHAK’ is a way of expressing your joy, emotion and sometimes to appreciate someone as well. There is something really different about the people of Varanasi, they are really expressive and I am really fortunate to have some company like this in Mumbai!
‘Special’, my colleague Rahaat said from behind; 6 ft. tall, wearing LP premium shirt and trouser, Tissot limited edition watch, branded shoes, latest IPhone, he is a walking brand! He is the perfect example of tall, dark, handsome kind of person. A man with a golden heart, and really down to earth kind of person.
While having the tea and the conversation about the most random things in the world, I saw someone. I do not know what that feeling was but I never felt like that before. Rahaat was talking something about the music industry but ‘Mere dil me kuch alag hi sitaar baj rahe the!’
I saw her. Yes, I can’t mistake her with anyone. It is Rabia. She is wearing a white salwar. Having a burger in one hand, a bag full of some accessories like art paper in the other and a mouthful of food, she is controlling her best not to laugh at something the woman beside her said.
I don’t remember how much time I took before coming to listen what Rahaat was saying or I can say disturbing the zone I made of her. I told him, ‘I have to go and talk to her or I am going to lose her again.’ He started to made fun of it as I approached her. She noticed me as I was running while crossing the road. She asked to come slow and smiled. I smiled too and realised how does it feel to look at someone special.
‘Hi!’, I gave a hand while panting. I haven’t run in a while and I guess I should. She smiled while shaking my hand and said, ‘Hey, hey, long time. I thought I was going to hear from you the next day or something!’
‘I lost your card.’ I don’t know what happens to me whenever I face her, words just don’t come out as they are in my mind and I hate that. I had so much to say to her; I wanted to say how I felt when I couldn’t find the card next day, I wanted to say how desperately I wanted to her again for just once, I wanted to say thank you that I couldn’t say last time, I wanted to say a lot of things to her…
And all I end up saying is ‘I wished to see you.’
‘And your wish is granted.’ She laughed. She introduced me to her friend and her friend to me. ‘So how you end up here, Nihal?’ she asked. ‘Ohh, yeah, I have good news. I got job at ‘Books and Media’ as a web designer. It’s been two weeks.’ I smiled.
‘Are you kidding, we are neighbours for two weeks and we have no idea about that! Such a tragedy!’ she almost screamed as her friend ask her to lower her voice and continued, ‘My office is just two blocks away.’ She laughed at herself.
‘These days have been so hectic as I am a trainee now, I couldn’t manage to have a look around; I only come here to have a cup of tea and go home, that’s all.’ I said in one breath as I was angry with myself for not finding out earlier.
‘Chal bhai, getting late.’ Rahaat called out. ‘Rahaat yaar!’ I murmured in my mind.
‘Have to go, it is great to see you again. Can I have your number again, I promise I will not lose it this time.’ I made a sorry face which I am expert at.
‘Wish for our sudden meeting again, it’s fun.’ She chuckled, I smiled without having any options. ‘Bye, have a great day, will meet soon.’ She waved her hand and left.

‘I wish we could stay little longer.’

I crossed the road patiently and smiled, we will…

3 Likes

I’m really apologizing for not being attentive from last few days and not making efforts for representing this story to you all… as i was busy in some other aspects of life… as I’m seeing, most of you haven’t find this part interesting… may be there was any loophole of lack of feel… but I’m assuring you all about the next and final part will make you all feel special in every aspect… just be connected with us… and we ( me and @unknown_soul ) are going to present you all the next and the final part of the story tomorrow in afternoon 12PM. stay tuned… keep loving… :slight_smile: enjoy reading “Stories Next Door”

2 Likes